How we help enrich lives
If we are going to help our residents live better, then it is our responsibility to offer them every opportunity to be actively engaged and involved. At Extendicare Rouge Valley, we provide social and recreational services seven days a week - including holidays. These services are designed to meet the physical, emotional, spiritual, and intellectual needs of our residents. All activities are developed, organized and led by qualified staff and we offer both group and individualized services to meet residents’ unique needs and circumstances. Examples of our recreational services and activities include:
- Java Music Club: Our Java Music Club meets every other week on each floor and combines music, reminiscing and socializing to build relationships among residents and reinforce a positive attitude.
- Music and Memory: Our Music and Memory program is in collaboration with the Alzheimer Society of Toronto. With the help of staff, many residents enjoy their own personalized playlist on iPods.
- Tai Chi Exercise: Once a week we have a Tai Chi exercise class.
- Brain Training Fitness: Once a month, we have a Brain Training Fitness Program that is hosted and facilitated by a local comedian. He leads residents in a series of brain exercises and they absolutely love it.
- Bell Choir: Our very own residents' “Golden Bells” bell choir holds weekly rehearsals, practicing with tone chimes. Each quarter they host a concert in our home and finish off the year with a performance at Christmas.- Travelling Farm Wagon: Once a month a Travelling Farm Wagon passes through our home with baby chicks, bunnies and other furry creatures for residents to hold and cuddle.
- Pet Therapy: Once a week a trained pet therapy dog comes into our home to spend time with residents.
- Intergenerational Program: Once every quarter, local elementary school students spend time with our residents as part of our Intergenerational Program.
- Monthly Birthday Bash: Our Monthly Birthday Bash is always popular as are movie night, games night, pub night and bingo night.
- Gardening Club: During the summer months, residents enjoy exercising their green thumbs - planting and caring for their vegetable and flower gardens.
We also offer a wide range of physiotherapy, cognitive, speech and occupational therapies according to the needs of our residents. Currently we offer:
- Music therapist